Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Fragile Nature of Things



I love these flowers. They are from Darrell for our Anniversary. He started a tradition that he would give me a rose for each year we were married. It was not too expensive the first 10 years, but now the display is quite impressive. And I was so happy to get them this year. I wish the flowers would last indefinitely. But I know that soon they will fade and wilt away. I wonder if that is why I appreciate them so much. If they stayed forever, I would take them for granted and become accustomed to their beauty. In time I would not even notice them. But since I know they will be gone soon, I treasure them while they last. It has got me thinking about the fragile nature of things. The Lord could make things last forever and ever, yet He doesn't. There is a time and season for everything. I know that there is a plan to my life that isn't always clear to me. And beauty that I must fully appreciate because of its fleeting nature. I know family and relationships are ultimately eternal, but I am confronted with the knowledge that here they can be fleeting. I think health issues really make you examine your perspective and choose an attitude. I choose to be hopeful and recognize the role that faith plays in my life. I choose to be grateful.

2 comments:

The Wizzle said...

This is why you are so special to me.

Marci McLain said...

I just wanted to say thank you for all your love and support. It means more to me than you will know. You have truly helped me see things differently thru the trials that you face and that you choose to face them with hope and faith. It has helped me at this time of our trial. Thanks for being there and hope you can feel the same about us! Love you!