Tuesday, February 10, 2009

My Valentine

I wanted to post some things about my favorite Valentine.

1. Darrell is the kindest, most patient person I have EVER met. This is no joke - even with the prednisone, which is a steriod and notorious for mood swings and personality glitches, you would never know with him. He just keeps plugging away, in the moment, without any anger for his health or circumstances. He is such an inspiration to me.

2. Darrell is the best dad ever. He calls them all honey and sweetheart. He always has time to watch a skit, a performance, watch Max dance, have Eric tell him the latest physics experiment, or support Bryanna's endless demands from soccer. He gets up early, goes to bed late, pays for lessons, trips, etc. all for the sake of enriching their lives. He can skimp for us, but is helplessly generous with our kids. I like it.

3. He is honestly spiritual. Long before we joined the LDS Church, Darrell was active spiritually. Growing up Nazarene, he has always had the Lord as a focus in his life. He serves quietly, completely without the need for praise or recognition. I am grateful to his parents for setting a good example for him and being dedicated to their faith. Anyone that loves and serves the Lord is good people in the book of Michelle.

4. He is my very best friend. I can (and do) talk to him about everything. No subject, no experience is off limits. When we were dating, I remember thinking this is a guy I could have children with, doesn't micromanage what I do (think RockBand or endless 2-liters of diet pepsi), would love me even if I were in a wheelchair, and is the one I would choose to take to Disneyland. Yep, this is the guy for me! Even when I am upset with him, he is still the person's advice I seek. How lame is that? He has been everything a best friend, girl or guy, should be. I could tell you stories of our outrageous fun and silliness together, but I think I will keep that all to myself. (I know silently you are thanking me for not sharing!)

5. Darrell is so intelligent. When we met, he didn't even have his associates degree, and I thought "are you kidding?" I used to refer to him as my diamond in the rough. An accounting and law degree later, he is able to earn a better living. I am such a fan of education for everyone. Remember, he has no need for praise or attention, so he is quietly smart. Doesn't try to take over the conversation to show you how smart he is, or to sway you to his position. He is often underestimated in his profession - and this is to his advantage. He isn't a jerk, or screaming, or cussing, or taking a hardline position just to prove a point or just because he can. There is a movie line that says "never let them see you coming" and Darrell personifies this. I have seen him do this over and over again in court. He has the opposing party, counsel or police officer boxed in the corner and they never saw it coming. I think this is very funny. I am way too obvious.

Thank you for letting me tell you about my favorite Valentine. Bryanna gave a talk about gratitude in Church last Sunday, and one thing she said was "I am so grateful for my parents. If they were to suddenly go away, I would be so lost". I agree wholeheartedly about Bryanna's dad. Let's hope we never have to experience that feeling.

I love you honey! You are my Valentine.

5 comments:

Tiffany Walker said...

What a special Valentine you have. We sure miss you guys around here. I know that I always enjoyed when he was assigned to our ward to speak.

Ed said...

I am so happy that you have the perfect Valentine for you! Everyone deserves that!

Bonnie said...

This is the sweetest post. Hope you all are doing good.

Kathy P said...

How sweet!!! Isn't being in love wonderful?

Julie said...

Hey Michelle, I found your blog yay! (And after I leave this comment I am going to be sure and scroll down to find the entry about KFC and Chuck Norris Ü)

I really loved this post, I can remember you saying similar things to me when giving me dating advice. The older I get, the more I realize just how important those simple everyday qualities are. Much more so than muscles and a nice care, ha ha.

Lets do lunch soon!