Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The Inner Workings of My Mind

Nap time - I am finally able to close my eyes. A chance to get away from the stress and worries of the day and forget. I am quiet and drift away. I am floating in an indeterminate blue and green mass - it takes me a moment to realize it is the ocean. I have no idea how I got here, but I can almost feel the water, and somehow I know it is very deep. The water is calm. I take its cue and begin to relax. Quietly, without rapid, frantic movement or warning, I am acutely aware of another presence. I can't see anything, but suddenly I know I am in very real danger. That feeling that washes over you - the hair standing up at the back of your neck. It quickly occurs to me what is in the ocean right next to me. A great white shark. And I am terrified. But afraid as I am, I remember that there was nothing else near me. No boat, no shoreline, nothing to swim to or anywhere to go. I am totally trapped and the feeling of helplessness is overwhelming to me. I can see this predator so clearly in my mind's eye. I know that if I reach out, I can touch it- it's that close to me. I can envision its teeth and the damage it could do to me. We are just floating together, no hurry, no movement, almost indecision. But I am absolutely petrified. I have to do something. From the recesses of my mind, I remind myself that I am only dreaming. That this is a horrible feeling but I can somehow try to make it stop - I can get away. I try to will myself to wake up. Have you ever done this? It's a horrible feeling.... I am trying to shout at myself to wake up before the menacing shark has a chance to tear me to shreds. Finally - and I don't know how long it took - I force my eyes open and lay in the dark sweating. I contemplate the meaning of the dream, and know it's pretty obvious. I got away this time, but I know the "shark" is just around the corner. Waiting for me. And there isn't anything I can do about it.

4 comments:

The Wizzle said...

I hope when you're able to fall back to sleep after this nightmare, that your mind is quiet and your blanket is very, very warm.

Kathy P said...

I don't know what you did to that shark, but I will beat him up for you!

Hope your dreams get better.

Ed said...

Not a fun dream at all!! Yikes! Remember though, there is a boat out there...you just might not be able to see it or feel like you can reach it! There will be a lot of safety nets thrown you way as well...love ya.

LadyM said...

I think there are several interpretions for your dream. One is the obvious, first level interpretation which addresses your most immediate concerns. I think, however there is a second, hidden message in the dream. Sharks are not only deadly denizens, but they are also creatures of great power, speed and intention. The message here may be more about YOUR power, or rather, the power of God that flows through you by his grace.

Were the shark to attack, you would certainly want to beat its nose, hammer its eyes and do what you can to survive. On the other hand, the shark made no attempt to devour you and was co-existing with you in the same space, as if it were encountering a creature of great power and unknown potential. What if you could continue to peacefully--albeit respectfully--co-exist? Perhaps the shark could take you places--undiscovered countries, new levels of existent known only to creatures of great power and intention...

Just a thought. I keep your family on my heart and in my prayers.